Treatment Type: Herbal and Nutritional Supplements
Rated for: Australian Kelpie / Labrador Retriever Mix
Posted Jan. 8, 2018
Omega3 acids have been shown to help in many health conditions, the most for these 5:
- Inflammatory skin disorders (including allergies)
- Cardiovascular disorders
- Renal disease
- Cognitive function and neurological health
You should use them even if your dog doesn't have any pressing health issues, especially if your dog doesn't get enough of them from a diet.
In order to get the therapeutic effect you need to dose them correctly, for this you need to consult your vet, so they can recommend the dose and product you should use.
Keep in mind this is not a short-term treatment, omega3 fatty acids have a buildup period of 6-8 weeks before they reach high enough concentrations in your dogs body, and they need to be used all the time, if you make a pause, then you need a buildup period again, and your dogs health might deteriorate if it benefited from omega 3 supplementation.
To sum up:
- Consult your vet about the dose.
- Use products that contain both EPA and DHA in highest concentration possible and right ratio.
- Don't use on and off but permanently.