Rightpet

Bonnie & Clyde

Southern Copperhead

Overall satisfaction

2.75/5

Acquired: Other

Gender: N/A

Appearance

3/5

Health

3/5

ActivityLevel

2/5

Temperament

1/5

Easy to provide habitat

2/5

Easy to handle

1/5

Visibility

2/5

Easy to clean and maintain habitat

2/5

Easy to Feed

2/5

Easy to provide environmental needs

4/5

For Experienced Snake Owners

By

United States

Posted Jul 06, 2014

Owning a venomous snake is a challenge and must only be done if you are experienced in handling snakes and have the proper equipment. Venomous snakes can kill you with one bite and so there should be lots of research done on owning any venomous snake. I will tell you that copperheads are very mildly venomous and easier to handle then other venomous snakes. These were my first "hot" snakes that I owned and I bought them to breed. Since copperheads are native to the USA you have to follow their habitation patterns and this can be somewhat frustrating. I owned these snakes and they did not eat once during the winter. They didn't lose weight and they were healthy and when spring came along they started eating again. I never stuck my hand in their cage unless they were blocked off in their hut or hiding place. I never held them with my hands, I used a snake hook or tongs to handle them. I put food in there with a snake feeding tongs. I transported them by putting a large deli container over them and sliding the lid underneath and snapping the lid in place. I was very precautious when handling things snakes. They are fairly docile and only struck at me one time and it was while I was messing with the glass sliding door. Again these are very beautiful snakes and docile for venomous snakes. Before you own a venomous snake of any kind do extensive research on the snake, where you can get anti-venom and make sure you have a locking air tight cage that they can not get out of. Treat every time you open that cage like you have been bitten and ended up in the hospital so you don't want to end up in the hospital again. They are cool snakes and I would not recommend them for anyone that has very little experience in handling non-venomous snakes. I would recommend you get a mean non-venomous snake first and handle it like a venomous snake. That way if you slip up the bite won't kill you. Once you have handled that snake for a year or two without being bit, go for a venomous snake. Have fun!!

1 member found this helpful