Posted Jul 09, 2015
Nile Monitors are gorgeous lizards that can grow to lengths of 5+ feet. However, they are definitely not for the inexperienced handler. These monitors are known for being very difficult to keep and "tame" as they are naturally inclined to being aggressive. That aggression, mixed with their size, strength, speed, and voracious appetite can make them dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. An adult Nile's bite can be pretty severe, and they also have sharp claws and a thick tail they won't hesitate to whip you with if you get on their bad side. They also require large, complex habitats with large water bowls as they love to swim and climb. I would only recommend this lizard to someone with years of experience with different reptiles, including other types of monitors.
- Gorgeous animals.
- Not very picky when it comes to feeding.
- Can grow to be quite large.
- Agile, fun to watch climb and swim.
- Very hardy animals.
- Can be aggressive, and can cause a good deal of damage to you.
- In the event that your pet gets sick, exotic veterinarians are costly and harder to come by.
- Expensive to keep in that they require large, complex enclosures. They require a lot of space for them to grow.