Acquired: Breeder (hobby breeder)
Training: I haven't learned care / training techniques
Posted October 26, 2015
Jasper was a great dog! Her energy definitely kept me on my toes and there were incidents when I began to question just how much patience I had left in me but whenever I would look into her sweet brown eyes I knew she always tried her hardest to please me. Collies are known to be energetic dogs and Jasper was no exception. She was best pals with my cat Skylark (as you may have read about in my earlier post) and playing fetch was her highest purpose in life. Issue’s that I would watch out for with this breed from personal experience is food aggression and jumping all over people when they arrive. Collies are certainly sweet dogs who love to be given the chance to use their high energy and herding instincts but will require steady training.
Things you should know about collies:
1. You need patience. LOTS of patience.
2. They are super smart and will catch on quickly if you train them early and in a consistent way.
3. They will run until their legs fall off, literally, so be prepared to remind them that sometimes they actually need to rest!
4. They are super high energy dogs and need lots of exercise.
5. They are amazing at agility and will especially love it if you set up something they can jump over!