Rightpet

Ryles

American Eskimo Dog / Poodle Mix

Overall satisfaction

4/5

Acquired: Rescue / shelter organization

Gender: Female

Training: Previous owner, I haven't learned care / training techniques

Quick to learn and train

2/5

Emotionally stable

N/A

Family oriented

4/5

Child safety

2/5

Safe with small pets

3/5

Doesn’t bark a lot

0/5

Health

2/5

Easy to groom

5/5

Great watch dog

5/5

Great guard dog

5/5

American Eski-poo

By

United States

Posted January 28, 2013

Ryles is 50% American Eskimo Dog and 50% Standard Poodle. Her body type takes after the American Eskimo Dog and her coloration and ears take after the poodle half. I got Ryles when she was 8 months old, she was voluntarily surrendered by her previous owner. The first day I had her she destroyed her crate and I came home to her sleeping on the kitchen table. She was obviously abused by a previous owner because those first few weeks it wasn't safe to move very fast around her. I got it confirmed at her first dental where they found that the tooth I thought never came in had actually be broken off at some point, probably from blunt force trauma. Take this review with a grain of salt; if you get a dog of this mix as a puppy or from a loving family you are probably going to have a very different experience. At 1 year of age she developed her first bladder stone and it had to be surgically removed. She will be on medicated food (which isn't cheap) for the rest of her life. From the time I got her we've had a biting problem. 90% of the time she's a great dog, the other 10% you have to be very aware of what she's doing. She generally only bites if you try to take something that she has decided belongs to her and after the first year she never clamps down hard enough to break the skin, just enough to scare the living daylights out of you. She is not allowed around other dogs if they're smaller than her because people become a resource and she will go after them if she thinks they're getting more attention than her. I am told by the groomer that she is perfectly fine around other dogs when we're not there. She also has severe separation anxiety. Now that I've turned you off completely let me say this. Ryles is the most loyal dog I have ever had. She, in general, obeys all of her commands and loves to play. She also does surprisingly well with the livestock and seems to have taken an affinity to the goats. I would not trade her for the world and when she crosses that rainbow bridge I will definitely consider another American Eskimo mix. Almost all of her problems stem from abuse when she was a puppy and it is amazingly hard to break some habits once they're there.

1 member found this helpful