Acquired: Rescue / shelter organization
Connecticut, United States
Posted Sep 29, 2015
I got Peter from a shelter back in 2008. We only had him for about 2 months because several days after Peter came home to us, my spouse started non-stop sneezing, couldn't breathe, broke out in hives everywhere and had the itchiest most watery eyes I have ever seen.
Peter was an absolute love and joy to be around. He was incredibly playful and had so much energy.
I am very shocked by my spouse being allergic to Peter because we read up on American Shorthairs for quite some time and a lot of people claimed they were close to hypoallergenic. We thought it might have been the other animals dander from the shelter that were on Peter that could have been causing this so we gave him several baths and bought a whole house air purifier. Not even allergy medication was strong enough.
I am sad to say this cat did not work out for us but he was absolutely so friendly and playful and I recommend these breeds to anyone that does not have pet allergies