Acquired: Other (stray, given cat by friend etc.)
Posted May 06, 2014
I got Pico and his brother, Hoss, from my grandparents. They are first generation out of the barn, so they are a handful! Here's what I've learned about barn cats:
1) A LOT of fun!
2) Rambunctious - They definitely need a good amount of outside time. They like to climb, and run, and explore. In the winter, they chase each other up and down the hallway for hours at a time. They love to play together.
3) Very loving - I guess barn cats are more communal than other cats, maybe that's why they like to cuddle with me, both like a lot of touch.
4) Curious - They like to examine new people, and explore new places and smells, but this is balanced by:
5) Nervous - They DO NOT like big animals, I got scratched up very bad one day because I let a friend bring her dog into the apartment. They can be scared of new people and places, even as much as they like to explore them.
6) Destructive - If you do not give them plenty of time to burn off energy, they tear at carpets and pee on things. They need to be let out! If they want to get behind a closed door, they tear at the carpet and scratch the door. Same if I shut the bedroom door at night.
So, in all, they can take care of themselves, but especially when they are young, they need space to explore and burn off energy. Still, they are affectionate and fun! I would recommend getting barn cats, IF they fit your personality. Me, I always wanted adventure cats!