Posted Jul 24, 2015
I rescued Hamlet from some kids on a playground that were poking him with sticks and throwing him around. When I took him home, I immediately called the vet to examine him. This is how I found that he was male, a common toad, and near the end of his life. I settled with the vet that I would make the rest of his life an easy and comfortable one. To make his habitat, I simply cleaned and cut an empty 2 liter bottle, filled it with soil, random foliage, and some tiny insects that are prolific in my gardens. After rigging his habitat and deciding on the name "Hamlet", I began to try to socialize him. He was skittish, at first, often trying to hide behind leaves and twigs in his enclosure. As time grew on and I comfortingly spoke and stroked him, he was more than happy to sit on my chest and/or shoulder while I went about my day. He was dark brown with bumps in a symmetric pattern down his back, was calm with me, and loved to be taken out to be held. At times, he would get stressed around strangers, so I would put him in his enclosure away from others. He wasn't often active, unless I put him on his little obstacle course. He eventually died, having lived longer than he would have in nature. I'm comforted to know that, while he made my days better, I made his longer.