Acquired: Online breeder / seller
California, United States
Posted Nov 27, 2011
Poison dart frogs are not for the average person. They are fun to own if you have a fascination for exotic pets. These colorful amphibians (that's right-- amphibians) may grow up to 6 centimeters long-- although, I've bought some as babies, and they were smaller than a quarter of an inch! My first two poison dart frogs, I bought when I was eleven. What a mistake and headache for my mother that was! Even though they were bright blue, it took over twelve hours to find when I accidentally left the top open. (That's why I suggest these pets for teenagers and older.) That wasn't the worse thing that happened, though. the worse thing, was when I accidentally knocked over an open box of live crickets while feeding my frogs! We never did recover them all.
Poison dart frogs are just that-- POISON. Its secretions are poisonous, so, I suggest you do a lot of research on its care before purchasing one-- or you could end up very sick just holding one.
If you're a responsible nerd, this pet is for you!