Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
Posted Aug 09, 2015
Growing up in the Midwest, I came across quite a few frogs in the ponds, streams, and rivers. I only kept one bullfrog, but it ended up being a pretty interesting pet.
First, the pros:
1. The life cycle is amazing to watch
2. Very low day-to-day maintenance
1. Bullfrogs need a murky environment - this can be dirty and smelly
2. Changing the tank/aquarium is a lot of work
3. Sustaining the frogs life is not easy. Bullfrogs are finicky about temperature, lighting, food, etc.
If you want to get a bullfrog as a pet for a child, I do recommend it - if you don't mind the cons. I do, however, recommend getting frogs as tadpoles so you can teach your child about evolution and the life cycle as it literally happens before your very eyes!